Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Idler, Thursday, February 5, 2015

Cane Rat Day

THE icy weather America has been experiencing is going to last 

another six weeks. Punxsutawney Phil says so.

Punxsutawney Phil is the groundhog who, according to 

Pennsylvania legend, is able to predict when winter will end. If he 

emerges from his burrow and sees his shadow, it will last another 

six weeks.

The groundhog legend has been around in Pennsylvania since 

the early 19th

Day, the film starring Phil Murray that was made in 1993 and was 

set in the West Pennsylvania town of Punxsutawney.

The town now has an Inner Circle who wear top hats and relay 

the pronouncements of groundhog Punxsutawney Phil. The latest: 

"Forecasts abound on the internet but Ï, Punxsutawney Phil, am 

still your best bet. Yes, a shadow I see ... Six more weeks of 

winter ..."

A groundhog is not, of course, a hog at all. It's more like a 

porcupine, the way our cane rat is not a rat but also a member of 

the porcupine family. And, oddly enough, cane rats are also known 

to have powers of prognostication.

One of the more celebrated, Vondo the Cane Rat, operates from 

Gingindlovu. I went to ask what he predicts for the State of the 

Nation Address next week. He speaks in riddles.

"One, two three ... hee, hee, hee ... JZ say he pay back monee 

...Snowee hard at Qudeni ..."

Snow at Qudeni Hill, near Nkandla? I think Vondo the Cane Rat 

might be having us on.

 century but achieved wide currency with Groundhog 

Cricket memorabilia

DOES anyone recognise the two cricket caps shown on this page? 

They're part of a collection that belonged to Chris Burger, the 

swashbuckling batsman who played for South Africa, Natal and 

Zingari in the late 50s and early sixties and died last year.

His son, David, has donated Chris's cricket memorabilia to his old 

school, Michaelhouse, but the two caps are a mystery.

His close friend Tony Clucas – they lunched together every week 

for 30 years or so – thinks the red, black and white one might be of 

"Crockett's XI"

"This was started as a team of Michaelhouse and Hilton old boys 

who had played provincial cricket, but was expanded to include 

those of other schools such as DHS and College

"The other cap is almost in the Bishops colours, but I don't think 

Chris would have had such a cap. It may, of course, have been 

given to him but I would be surprised."

Can anyone out there shed any light?

Lunches

TONY describes Chris Burger as "the naughtiest, and nicest 

person, I have ever known."

I can vouch for that. He once had me totally fooled as he 

pretended on the phone to be a police sergeant investigating some 

student high jinks.

Those must have been great lunches.

Oz democracy

THE Aussies have robust democracy. A letter comes this way 

from a fellow wanting to renew his passport to the federal cabinet 

minister concerned. 

 "Dear Mr Minister, 

"I'm in the process of renewing my passport, and still cannot 

believe this. How is it that K-Mart has my address and telephone 

number, and knows that I bought a television set and golf clubs 

and condoms from them back in 1997, and yet the federal 

government is still asking me where I was born  and on what date? 

"My birth date you have in my Medicare information, and it is on all the income tax 

forms I've filed for the past 40 years. It is also on my driver's licence, on the last eight 

passports I've ever had, on all those stupid customs declaration forms I've had to fill out .

 "Between you and me, I've had enough of all this bulldang! You send the application to 

my house then you ask me for my bloody address. 

"What the hell is going on with your mob? Have you got a gang of 

mindless Neanderthals working there?  You bloody morons! You 

are all pen-pushing, paper-shuffling bloody idiots!"

That's robust Aussie democracy. Who would dream of saying 

anything like this to  our own Home Affairs folk?

Tailpiece

"DOCTOR, I feel terrible."

"What are the symptoms?"

"They're a cartoon show with yellow people."

Last word

I only know two pieces; one is 'Clair de Lune' and the other one isn't. 

Victor Borge

No comments:

Post a Comment