Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Idler, Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Gezundheit – health tips

NEWS from America: an interview with 101-year-old Hattie Mae MacDonald, of 

Feague, Kentucky:

"Can you give us some health tips for reaching the age of 101?"

"For better digestion I drink beer. In the case of appetite loss I

drink white wine. For low blood pressure I drink red wine. In the case of

high blood pressure I drink scotch. And when I have a cold, I drink

Schnapps."

"When do you drink water?"

"I've never been that sick."

Some light

INCREMENTAL progress in finding out about John Joseph Murphy 

who was lighthouse keeper at Cape St Lucia for about 30 years. 

His great-grandson, Mick Murphy, is here on holiday from England 

trying to find anyone who can remember his great-grandfather.

John Joseph had four daughters and a son – also John Joseph – 

who returned to England and was Mick's grandfather.

William Davidson, of Mtubatuba, says his father recalls a Mr 

Coward being lighthouse keeper at Cape St Lucia from about the 

1950s, so if John Joseph Murphy was there for 30 years it must 

have been from the 1920s, which is about when the lighthouse 

was built.

But here the trail runs cold.

  "The children would have gone to school in Durban or 

Pietermaritzburg and in the 1940s children went by train to 

boarding school," says William.

"I did speak to some of the older generation of the district and 

they don't recall any  Murphy children getting on the train at 

Kwambonambi."

Four daughters – the offspring won't be called Murphy but they 

must surely be around somewhere.

The dots

ESKOM is in free-fall. It seems we don't have a postal service any 

more.

And now it also seems the security fence erected for millions at 

taxpayers' expense at JZ's Nkandla private residence is falling 

down and full of gaps.

Do we join the dots?

Dillerisms

MORE Dillerisms – from the collected wisdom of American comedienne Phyllis Diller.

I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford. Then I want to move in with them. 


Any time three New Yorkers get into a cab without an argument, a bank has just been robbed. 


Burt Reynolds once asked me out. I was in his room. 


      

Flights 

OVERHEARD at the Street Shelter for the Over-Forties: ""Great sex last night. 

The wife asked what I was doing on the computer. Looking for cheap flights, I 

said. 'I love you!' she said and just pounced on me. It's odd, she's never shown 

an interest in darts before."

Tailpiece

A MAN walks out onto Broadway, New York, and catches a taxi just 

going by. He gets in and the cabbie says: "Perfect timing. You're just 

like Brian."

Passenger: "Who?"

Cabbie: "Brian Sullivan. He's a guy who did everything right all the 

time. A bit like my coming along when you needed a cab. Things 

happened like that to Brian Sullivan, every single time."

Passenger: "But there are always a few clouds over everybody."

Cabbie: "Not Brian Sullivan. He was a terrific athlete. He could have 

won the Grand Slam at tennis. He could golf with the pros. He sang 

like an opera baritone and danced like a Broadway star ... and you 

should have heard him play the piano. He was an amazing guy."

Passenger: "Sounds like he was something really special."

Cabbie: "There's more. He had a memory like a computer. He 

remembered everyone's birthday. He knew all about wine, which 

foods to order and which fork to eat them with.

"He could fix anything. Not like me. I change a fuse, and the whole 

street blacks out. But Brian Sullivan, he could do everything right."

Passenger: "Wow! Some guy then."

Cabbie: "He always knew the quickest way to go in traffic and avoid 

traffic jams. Not like me. But Brian, he never made a mistake and he 

really knew how to treat a woman and make her feel good. He would 

never answer her back even if she was in the wrong ... and his 

clothing was always immaculate. He was the perfect man. He never 

made a mistake. No one could ever measure up to Brian Sullivan."

Passenger: "An amazing fellow. How did you meet him?"

Cabbie: "Well, I never actually met Brian. He died. I'm married to his 

widow."

Last word

I'm not a real movie star. I've still got the same wife I started out with 

twenty-eight years ago. 

Will Rogers

14

No comments:

Post a Comment