Monday, March 30, 2015

The Idler, Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Durban curry contest

DETAILS come this way of a curry contest right here in Durban, 

where a visiting American gastronome joined two local judges. 

Here are the scorecard notes

* Seelan's Maniac Monster tomato curry.

Judge 1 - A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.

Judge 2 -- Nice smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.

Judge 3 - Holy cow! What the hell is this stuff? You could

remove paint with it. Took me two beers to put the

flames out.

* Phoenix BBQ chicken curry

Judge 1 - Smoky, with a hint of chicken. Slight chilli tang.

Judge 2 - Exciting BBQ flavour, needs more peppers to be taken 

seriously.

Judge 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children! I'm tasting pain. 

I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich 

manoeuvre! They had to rush in more beer...

* Shamila's famous Burn Down The Garage curry.

Judge 1 - Excellent firehouse curry. Great kick.

Judge 2 - A bit salty, good use of chilli peppers.

Judge 3 - Call 911. I've located a uranium pill. My nose feels like

I've been snorting drain cleaner. Everyone knows the routine by 

now - more beer before I ignite! I'm getting pickled.

* Baboo's Black Magic bean curry.

Judge 1 -- Black bean curry with almost no spice. Disappointing.

Judge 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish 

or other mild foods, not much of a curry.

Judge 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was

unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? 

* Lall's Lethal Lip Remover.

Judge 1 - Meaty, strong curry. Cayenne peppers freshly ground,

adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge 2 - Average beef curry, could use more tomato. Must admit 

the chili peppers make a strong statement.

Judge 3 - My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead 

and I can no longer focus my eyes. Shareen saved my tongue 

from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. The 

other judges asked me to stop screaming. 

* Verishnee's Vegetarian Variety.

Judge - Thin yet bold vegetarian variety curry. Good balance of

spices and peppers.

Judge 2 - The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and

garlic. Superb.

Judge 3 - My intestines are filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames.. 

Can't feel my lips any more. 

* Selina's Mother-in-Law's Tongue curry

Judge 1 - A mediocre curry with too much reliance on canned 

peppers.

Judge 2 - Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of

chili peppers at the last moment. (I am worried about Judge 3. He 

appears to be in a bit of distress).

Judge 3 - You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I

wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world

sounds like it is made of rushing water. 

* Naidoo's Toenail Curling curry.

Judge 1 - The perfect ending. This is a nice blend curry. Not too

bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge 2 - This final entry is a good, balanced curry. Neither mild

nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge 3 

passed out, fell over and pulled the curry pot down on top of 

himself. Not sure he's going to make it. Poor man, I wonder how 

he'd have reacted to really hot curry?

Judge 3 - No report.

See you at the Britannia.

Rhyme time

REGULAR telephone contact Barrie "with an 'ie'" proffers a 

nursery rhyme.

Jack and Jill went up the hill,

Each with a dollar and a quarter.

Jill came down with two dollars and a half,

Do you think for fetching water?

Veggies

OVERHEARD in the Street Shelter for the Over-Forties: "Potatoes 

give us mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, roast potatoes, 

chips AND vodka. These other vegetables need to get their act 

together."

Tailpiece

TWO goats find a roll of celluloid film on a vacant lot in Hollywood. They munch 

away at it.

"Mmmmm, not bad,"says one.

"Not at all. But I think I preferred the book."

Last word

Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies. 

W L George

No comments:

Post a Comment