Monday, March 30, 2015

The Idler, Thuirsday, March 26, 2015

One happy subscriber

SAINT Bernards seem to have given up brandy and are delivering The 

Mercury instead. Reader "Rip" Riphagen, of Brighton Beach, says he has been 

subscribing for a few years now.

"Recently I acquired a Saint Bernard and she fetches my paper for me every 

morning from the driveway. 

"And every morning, come sunshine or rain, snow or hail, hell, high water or 

technology, tsunami or sirocco, your delivery men put my paper in a plastic 

bag to protect it from the slobber. It is but a small thing but I am really very 

thankful for that. I think it is extremely considerate of them.

"Please convey my sincere thanks to them. You may also buy them a Bells. 

Just use some of the money you guys deduct from my bank account every 

month.

"However when I told my friend Peter, who also has a Saint, about this he was 

not impressed. He says his dog also brings him his paper every morning and 

he doesn't even have a subscription.

"Perhaps I should start training my dog again. What do you think?"

I think you should speak to your friend Peter about his training methods, work 

hard at it and by Christmas your Saint will deliver a keg of Bells, courtesy 

of our circulation department. They're the most generous people you can 

imagine.

Golden memories

NINETY-ONE-year-old Phyllis Larcombe sends in some charming 

memories of Durban in the 1920s. They also feature the legendary 

DHS schoolmaster, Bill Payne, who was an early Comrades 

Marathon runner. 

"My parents lived in a single-storey semi-detached house in 

Essenwood Road, opposite where Musgrave Centre now stands. 

Several of my mother's relatives lived in small houses between 

Essenwood and Musgrave Roads.

"Her uncle, David Walsh, planted the baobab tree which was later 

saved by the builders. It can be observed at the entrance to the 

parking area of Musgrave Centre.

"My sister (now aged 95) played with the neighbour's three 

daughters, 

Jacqueline, Petal and Wendy. Their father was Bill Payne who was 

one of the Comrades who started the Comrades Marathon.

"My mother was taken in a rickshaw to the Enfield Nursing Home 

where I was born, 91 years ago.

"Bill Payne made a swing for the children. The ropes were on a 

very high tree branch. When he swung them, they went over the 

dividing fence. His wife was standing in the kitchen doorway and 

remonstrated with him. He turned to her and said: 'Oh, don't be 

such a wet Winnie,' in the idiom of those days.

"We moved away from Durban but went to Hibberdene and stayed 

in a holiday cottage during the July holidays.

"At that time, I was nine years old. We were walking along the 

railway line from sleeper to sleeper and could see the brown water 

coming down 

in flood in the river below.

"My mother exclaimed: 'Oh, look, there is a branch with an arm 

over it.' The swimmer guided the branch to the bank and climbed 

out of the water. My mother gasped: 'Oh look, it's Bill Payne." She 

went over and spoke to him. Walking back, with my mother, she 

told me all these things about the early Durban days."

Rugby boots

PART of the Bill Payne legend is that he ran the Comrades in 

his rugby boots, stopped off at Botha's Hill for a curry and rice 

and a quart of beer, then was given a glass of peach brandy by a 

spectator around Cato Ridge, which served like rocket fuel for him 

to finish the race.

It seems he also enjoyed swimming in flooded rivers.

Tailpiece

AN OLD man of 90 is sitting on a park bench crying.

A policeman asks: "What's the matter?"

"I just got married to a 25-year-old woman. Every morning we make love, she 

makes me a wonderful breakfast, and we then have fun together, laughing 

and relaxing. In the afternoon she makes me a wonderful lunch and then we 

make love again and have fun together, laughing and relaxing. At dinner time 

she makes me a wonderful supper and then we relax more and really enjoy 

ourselves."

"You shouldn't be crying, you should be the happiest man in the world."

"I know. I'm crying because I can't remember where I live!"

Last word

He wrapped himself in quotations - as a beggar would enfold himself in the 

purple of Emperors. 

Rudyard Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment