Thursday, June 20, 2019

The Idler, Thursday, June 20, 2019

A calling

card from

Captain Kirk?

A NASA spacecraft has spotted curious shapes on the surface of Mars closely resembling the Starfleet logo from the sci-fi hit TV show, Star Trek.

The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) captured images of a series of the chevron-style contours on the surface of the red planet, according to Sky News.

The intriguing discovery was highlighted by the MRO HiRISE (High-Resolution Imaging Science Experiment) camera team at the University of Arizona.

But the d

The HiRISE team say the mysterious landscape found in the south-east Hella Plantia region of the cold, desert world was actually created by wind, lava and dunes.

Starting out as large, crescent-shaped dunes, at some point there was an eruption and they became landlocked when the flowing lava solidified.

What's this they're trying to tell us, these scientists? That Star Trek isn't true? How ridiculous can you get? They're worse than these people who insist on debunking Superman and The Amazing Spider-Man.

 

 

Lively finale

A VIDEO clip comes this way. It shows a game of women's football, the gals tapping the ball about very daintily, not terribly rousing.

The blokes in the stands are totally bored and critical of the lack of action.

Comes the end of the game. The gals shake hands with the opposition then peel off their football shirts to swap.

The blokes in the stands are on their feet cheering.

It this genuine? Or is somebody having us on?

 

 

Soulful lines

DURBAN poet Sarita Mathur sends in some deep and lovely lines on the meaning of life.

My Soul says,
Be at Ease…at Peace
With Calm Mind,
Happiness of another Kind.
My Soul Story,
On it's onward Journey.
From whence I came and whence I will go,
I don"t really know
The Answer.
However, I feel I came from Light,
Where all was Bright,
To learn Life"s lessons
And Continue,
My Onward Journey…
In this world.
I can make it beautiful,
Or I can make it sad.
I can think it's beautiful,
Or can perceive it as bad.
Whatever I visualise and act upon,
Is what my Life will be,
Certainly, it will determine,
How.I spend my Onward Journey.


 

Taxing times

MORE from Rosemarie Jarski's Great British Wit. Topic: Tax.

·       All money nowadays seems to be produced with a natural homing instinct for the Treasury. – Prince Philip.

·       For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. – Winston Churchill.

·       I had a very successful business lunch with my accountant. He paid the bill and I managed to snatch the receipt. – Ken Dodd.

·       Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is really quite as satisfying an income tax refund. – FJ Raymond.

·       I contact Al Owen in Eire and ask him what the tax advantages would be if I became domiciled in Dublin. "None," he says. "What you save on tax you spend on drink." – Spike Milligan.

·       "You don't know a way of doing down the income-tax people, do you Bertie?"

 "Sorry, no. I doubt even Jeeves does." – PG Wodehouse.

 

Tailpiece

THIS fellow rushes to his dietician. "You've got to help me. That diet you've put me on makes me very irritable. I've just bitten somebody's ear off."

"Oh dear. That's a lot of calories."

 

 

Last word

You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in. - Arlo Guthrie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment