Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Idler, Thursday, July 14

So happy he kissed the dog

 

THE SECOND Caterpillar to have baled out from a Harvard trainer over the Bluff in the mid-sixties – after a collision with a Skymaster – has been identified.

 

He was Arne' Frolich, the pupil pilot, says Gordon Hammond, of Pennington. The incident caused much mirth on the Lower South Coast as Frolich was a prominent Port Shepstone businessman.

 

And Gaylyn Strauss confirms that the pilot was Paul Sinclair, her father.

 

"He ejected from the plane by parachute, landed in the road and narrowly avoided being run over by an oncoming car. The driver of the vehicle picked him up and later recounted that my dad was so happy to have survived, he kissed the dog who was in the car."


Paul Sinclair went on to fly Impalas. He died in 1998.

 

Aviation feat

 

STILL with aviation, this week's piece about the pilot who glided from Greytown to Virginia after the engine failed, reminds a reader, who calls himself Casey, of something similar.

"After a total loss of power and in a dense fog the pilot saved not only the lives of his passengers but the aircraft as well by gliding to and landing on a henway."

A henway? About 1.2 kg without its feathers.

The mind, senor, she boggles!

 

Another incident

 

MEANWHILE, it recalls another aviation incident at Greytown. A light aircraft somehow landed in a ploughed field, piloted by a local farmer and with three other farmers as passengers. I knew them all well.

 

They bent the plane quite badly though it didn't actually flip. There never was any risk of fire. They'd run out of fuel.

 

Dublin edition

 

READER Brian Kennedy says it's not entirely accurate that Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast and Dublin – as well as London - won't be the same without the News of the World.

"Up to very recent years, when they brought out a special 'Irish' edition, the paper was banned in Dublin due to its salacious content.

"As for wrapping fish and chips in it, I believe that they have been replaced by curry and rice for some time now."

 

Scots wisdom

SOME pearls of Scots wisdom come from Alf Taylor, former Chief Constable of the Durban City Police, now living in Scotland:

·         Money can't buy happiness – but it's more comfortable crying in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

·         Forgive your enemy - but remember the bastard's name.

·         Help a man when he's in trouble and he'll remember you next time he's in trouble.

·         Alcohol doesn't solve any problem - but then nor does milk.

 

Chinese puzzle

 

A Tommy Cooperism: "Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. There are five people in my family, so there must be one of them. It's either my Mum or  my Dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu. But I think it's Colin."



Dubya Square

A SMALL Albanian town has named a square in honour of American President George W Bush and erected a statue of him, nine feet tall. It was unveiled in Fushe Kruge the other day in a ceremony festooned with Albanian and American flags.

President Bush was the first US president to visit Albania after it dumped communism. I guess Enver Hoxha was an easy act to follow.

According to this news snippet, the most popular westerner in Albania still is British comedian Norman Wisdom. But George is also good for a laugh.

Just like Mother

HERE'S one for the ladies:
 
He didn't like the casserole
And he didn't like my cake.
 
He said my biscuits were too hard,
Not like his mother used to bake.
 
I didn't perk the coffee right,
He didn't like the stew,
 
I didn't mend his socks
The way his mother used to do.
 
I pondered for an answer,
I was looking for a clue.
 
Then I turned around and smacked him ...
Like his mother used to do.

Tailpiece

PRINCE Charles takes up walking. On the same street corner every day he encounters a hooker. Banter develops between them.

 

"'Ere, Your "Ighness! 'Undred an' fifty quid!"

"Five quid's my limit, my dear."

One day Camilla is with him. Charles avoids eye contact with the hooker. They are passing in silence when ...

 

"'Oi, Your 'Ighness! That's wot you gets for five quid!"

Last word

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

Errol Flynn

 

No comments:

Post a Comment