Saturday, October 5, 2019

The Idlker, Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Moral force

and that diving

run-out

THE 150th anniversary of the birth of Mahatma Gandhi was celebrated this week in India and many other parts of the world, not least Maritzburg. Gandhi was not just a driving force behind India's independence, his philosophy of satyagraha – passive resistance – is still powerful in the world today.

On a jaunt to India some years back, I found I was constantly asked two questions: "Do you know Maritzburg?" (they don't call it Pietermaritzburg) and "Do you know Jonty Rhodes?".

Maritzburg because that is where Gandhi was bundled out of a first class railway compartment. It politicised him. Every Indian schoolchild learns that Gandhi wrote in his diary: "I decided today that the British will leave India."

Jonty Rhodes? This was long before Jonty actually became involved in Indian cricket. Indians were absolutely entranced by the footage of his famous diving run-out of Pakistani batsman Inzamam-ul-Haq in Brisbane. Overnight he acquired the status almost of a demi-god.

I was in Delhi, staying at the Taj Mansing hotel, a place that makes Buckingham Palace look a bit like a hovel. (I was not paying). I was taking a tincture in the bar where I got into conversation with the barman, a very bright university graduate and trainee manager.

"You're South African? Do you know Jonty Rhodes."

"Well, I've never actually met him but I used to play rugby with his father."

"What?" This fellow was thunderstruck. (I was maybe stretching it a bit. Digby Rhodes was playing scrumhalf for Maritzburg Collegians in the First Division while I was scrumhalf in the Under-20s – but we did go to the same practice).

"But I've never met Jonty," I continued. We went to the same school but I was there many years before him."

"What school was that?"

"Maritzburg College."

"What?" This fellow's eyes were like saucers. "Are you telling me Jonty Rhodes is from Maritzburg?"

"That's right."

"Nobody knows that!" He was electrified.

He went off and picked up a telephone. Two floors up, the hotel group's board were having a meeting. Next thing they all came trooping down to meet this fellow with the astonishing news that Jonty Rhodes comes from Maritzburg. Great excitement. Highly significant. A convivial lunch followed.

I still haven't met Jonty. But I feel I've known him for years.

 

 

THAT same jaunt to India, I was also in Mumbai. I was taken to the Gandhi Museum, which is in his old house at a secluded beach. My guide had already discovered my origins and she took me directly to the curator, triumphantly introducing me as "a visitor from Maritzburg". The curator then personally showed me over the place – all kinds of little tableaux, including the Maritzburg station incident.

Gandhi's bedroom was special, spare and Spartan – a rough little bed; a spinning wheel and a rough little bookcase with the Bhagavad Gita (Hindu holy book), the Bible and the Qu'ran.

That just about said it all. You could almost feel the force of satyagraha.

They got me to sign the Visitors' Book. I wrote something silly like: "I'm impressed – and I'm from Maritzburg!" They seemed thrilled.

Of course, they also asked if I knew Jonty Rhodes. No escaping it.

 

 

Tailpiece

 

I USED to be able to clap with just one hand. But that was Zen, this is Tao.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment